1. Website: The website of the Center for Nanotechnology in Society at Arizona State University (CNS-ASU), including the Nanotechnology in City Environments (NICE) Database (collectively, the “Website”) is provided free of charge to the public. CNS-ASU has developed and maintains the NICE Database as a part of the National Science Foundation (NSF)-funded TRC2 grant program.
The contents of the Website – such as text, graphics, images, opinions, statements and information obtained from contributors and other material contained on the Website (collectively, “Content”) – are for general research, educational and informational purposes only.
While CNS-ASU strives to deliver accurate information about nanomaterials or nanotechnologies and their resultant products or innovations, CNS-ASU cannot and does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, reliability or efficacy of the Content provided on the Website at any time. The nature of emerging technologies means these technologies will be reviewed, evaluated and discussed by other parties. The science referring to the potential risks, potential benefits, functions, sustainability challenges, and potential uses (either intended or unintended) will inevitably evolve over time as new or conflicting research emerges. The aforementioned fact in itself has a direct and lasting impact on the accuracy, completeness, timeliness, reliability and efficacy of the Content presented on the Website at any point in time.
CNS-ASU makes no guarantees, representations or warranties as to the accuracy, adequacy, completeness or currency of the Content provided in or linked from the Website. Neither the NSF, the Arizona Board of Regents (“ABOR”), nor any of their respective employees or affiliates are responsible or liable for any claims, losses, expenses or damages arising as a result of the use or interpretation of the Content.
2. Use of Copyrighted, Licensed or Trademarked Material: This Website was created from and includes material which is believed to be in the public domain. If you believe that any item in this Website is protected under the terms of any copyright or other restrictions, please inform CNS-ASU by e-mail or by any other means. We will take the necessary action to obtain publishing rights or will cease to publish items which are known to be copyrighted.
ASU’s trademarks, service marks, word marks and logos (collectively, “ASU Marks”) are owned by ABOR. All other trademarks and logos mentioned in or displayed on our Website remain the property of their respective owners, and are used with permission, or to refer to specific products or services. CNS-ASU uses these trademarks only to improve the accuracy of identifying and describing those products or services.
3. Linking: By using our provided ASU Marks linking to ASU web pages, you agree to the following:
a) You will not alter any ASU Marks or use the ASU Marks in any manner to make it appear that ASU is endorsing, sponsoring or affiliated with you or your company.
b) You acknowledge the validity of ABOR’s ownership in all ASU Marks and will not contest such ownership or the validity of any registrations of ABOR relating to the ASU Marks. If you acquire any goodwill or reputation in any of the ASU Marks, all such goodwill or reputation will automatically vest in ABOR when and as such goodwill or reputation occurs. You agree to take all actions necessary to affect such vesting.
c) You are prohibited from using the ASU Marks or any names, marks, or other materials in a manner that is likely to cause confusion with, dilute or damage the reputation or image of ASU or ABOR.
d) You agree not to make negative or disparaging references to ASU or ABOR.
e) You will not place ASU web pages in a “frame” within your own website, without specific permission from ASU.
f) ASU reserves the right to terminate this consent to use its link to its Website.
g) You agree to immediately cease and desist using the ASU Marks and/or linking to our Website on our written or electronic request.
4. No Association: CNS-ASU has no formal association with any of the manufacturers, vendors, or suppliers (collectively, “Manufacturers”) of the products reviewed on the Website. CNS-ASU does not endorse (explicitly or implicitly) or criticize any products, services, processes or technologies reviewed on the Website. The thoughts, views, opinions, beliefs and experiences expressed by persons who choose to comment on any products, services, processes, or technologies reviewed on the Website (defined in Section 6 below as “User Material”) are those of the individual commenter and are not necessarily representative of ABOR, ASU or CNS-ASU. All information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages or other User Materials, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the user from which such User Materials originated.
You understand and agree that User Material includes information, views, opinions and recommendations of many individuals and organizations and is designed to help you gather the information useful in your research and/or decision making. Importantly, you are responsible for your own decisions and for properly analyzing and verifying any information you intend to rely upon. We do not endorse any recommendation or opinion made by any user. We do not routinely screen, edit, or review User Material. However, we reserve the right to monitor or remove any User Material from the Website at any time without notice. You should be aware that other users may not be who they say they are. We take no action to perform a background check on any of our users. You should also be aware that other users may use the Website for personal gain. As a result, please approach messages with appropriate skepticism. User Material may be misleading, deceptive, or in error.
7. Rules for Online Conduct: You agree to use the Website in accordance with all applicable laws. You will not e-mail or post any of the following content anywhere on the Website:
- Content that defames or threatens others
- Harassing statements or content that violates federal or state law
- Content that discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them
- Content that infringes another’s intellectual property, including but not limited to, copyrights, trademarks or trade secrets
- Material that contains obscene language or images
- Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation
- Content that is otherwise unlawful
9. Jurisdiction: This Website is controlled and operated by CNS-ASU from its offices within the State of Arizona, United States of America. CNS-ASU makes no representation that materials in the Website are appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who choose to access this Website from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent applicable.
10. Disclaimer/Limitation of Liability: The materials, information and technology in this Website are provided “as is” without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, any implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. CNS-ASU does not warrant or make any representations regarding the use or the results of the use of the materials in this Website in terms of their correctness, accuracy, reliability or otherwise. Under no circumstances, including but not limited to, negligence, shall CNS-ASU be liable for any special or consequential damages that result from the use of, or the inability to use, the information and materials in this Website, even if CNS-ASU has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Applicable law may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, or the limitation or exclusion of liability.